What To Do When an Uninsured Driver Hits You

Recovering from a car accident can get quite expensive, but you often have the liable party’s insurance coverage to help you out. What happens when you’re hit by an uninsured driver? You’ll still have the injuries and property damage to recover from, but you won’t have the same guarantee of compensation. The following are some things you can do when you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.

Call the Police

You want to have a police officer respond to every accident, but especially those involving an uninsured driver. The police report will typically outline the details about your accident, which can help you in seeking compensation in ways other than insurance. The officer can also administer first aid if needed, and can get an EMT on the scene if the injuries are more severe.

Refuse Cash

Because the other driver is uninsured, he or she may try to offer you cash in hopes a lawsuit will be avoided. Regardless of the amount of money he or she is flashing in front of you, never accept it. There’s no way you could estimate the extent of your injuries or the property damage done to your car, so you can’t make a solid decision on whether the amount of cash being offered is actually going to cover everything. If it ends up being a good deal, you can always speak to the driver about it at a later time.

Collect Information

Although there is no insurance information to collect, you want other information to aid you in getting compensation. Get the name and phone number or email of the driver. Write down the license plate number of his or her car, and even the VIN if you can.

Witnesses will also be important in your case, so look around to see if anyone saw what happened. Get contact information for those individuals. Passengers in any of the cars involved are considered witnesses, so don’t look past them. You should also collect photos of the scene, of your injuries, of the damage your car sustained and of the surrounding area.

Contact Your Insurance Company

You may still be able to receive compensation from your own insurance, depending on the type of policy you have. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage might be in your policy. Aside from auto insurance, you probably have personal health insurance, and can dip into that to help pay for medical costs.

Getting Started With a Legal Professional

A legal professional could be your biggest ally when you’re dealing with a situation involving an uninsured driver. Get in touch with a car accident lawyer, like the offices of MartinWren, P.C., to learn more about handling these situations.