Securing the Future for Yourself and Your Family
Thinking about death can be a troublesome topic, which is why many people will choose to ignore it. The same can be said of becoming disabled or incapacitated. However, when it comes to planning for the future, sensitive topics like death and incapacitation must be addressed — especially when you are drafting an estate plan.
As an estate planning lawyer might tell you, drafting and executing an estate plan is one of the most important things you can do to protect yourself and your loved ones. By doing so, you can ensure all of your assets, including property, cars, belongings, bank accounts, and investments, are preserved (to the best extent possible) and transferred to your named beneficiaries.
The right estate plan is more than a document that transfers assets upon death. Rather, it can also nominate guardians for any minor or disabled children, appoint a fiduciary to manage money, preserve government benefits, decrease taxes, eliminate or simplify the probate process, and potentially avoid a family dispute.
How an Estate Planning Lawyer Can Help
Perhaps the most important element to correctly drafting an estate plan, with the help of an estate planning lawyer, is to ensure your loved ones will receive what you had intended for, while reducing any stress of unnecessary legal proceedings.
An estate planning lawyer, like an estate planning lawyer in Sacramento, CA, can help you with the following:
- Understand your estate planning needs
- Explain to you the roles that different individuals will have in your estate plan
- Offer guidance while you make informed decisions regarding appointing these roles
- Identify and classify all of your assets
- Preserve your assets and minimize estate tax burdens
- Ensure your beneficiaries receive their assets in a timely manner
- Ensure minor or disabled children are provided for upon your death or incapacitation
- Draft documents that will provide for disabled children and ensure they continue to receive government benefits
- Convey your death wishes
Good estate planning lawyers offer a broad range of services, including the planning, drafting, and maintenance of:
- Last will and testaments
- Power of attorney
- Revocable living trust
- Irrevocable trust
- Special needs trust
- Real estate transfers
- Medical power of attorney
- Special trusts (i.e. gun trust, asset protection trusts, dynasty trusts, etc.)
- Business succession planning
Are You Ready to Plan Your Future?
A full-service estate planning law firm can help you to identify your needs, explore your options, and create an estate plan that is customized to meet your goals and objectives. From wills and trusts, to navigating probate litigation or establishing guardianship, a good attorney will have the right insight, knowledge, and experience to secure your future, and that of your loved ones.
If you are ready to take the first steps towards planning your future, give an estate planning lawyer a call. He or she will be happy to discuss your needs, answer your questions, and let you know what is needed to get started.
Thanks to Yee Law Group, PC for their insight into finding an estate planning lawyer who can help secure the future for you and your family.